Week 15 - Brussels

This week...

It was Eastern Orthodox Easter, so we had a four day weekend. And what does a four day weekend mean? Go somewhere new! This week I flew to Brussels, Belgium with four friends (one of whom is from Brussels so we got to have him as our professional tour guide), and I met a fifth friend there. What a blessing to be able to meet one of my best friends, teammate, and roommate in Belgium for the weekend. Bri is studying abroad this semester in Germany, so she hopped on a train, and we were reunited. Brussels has such a great vibe, and it was a dream to go.

We landed and were immediately met with refreshing modernity. It's wild how in just a 2.5 hour flight, the world can change so much. There is a striking difference between eastern and western Europe. Even within eastern and western Europe themselves the differences in the architecture, culture, food, and lifestyles is drastic. I think this was abnormally noticeable to us because we've gotten used to Bulgaria. Sometimes I forget how historically rich Europe is. I come from a country where, comparatively, modern is all it's ever been. The lands here have history that goes hundreds of years beyond even the establishment of the United States. 

We stayed in an Airbnb just south of the city center. Brussels is much bigger than I thought. We explored all over, but didn't nearly discover the whole city. I guess that means I'll just have to go back some day. 

I Learned...

La Grand-Place

The center of Brussels is identifiable by La Grand-Place. I did zero reading on this before our trip, so when we turned the corner and found ourselves in the middle of this massively beautiful block of buildings, we were in awe. I've never seen anything that screamed western European architecture more. It's construction began in the 11th century, but after most of was destroyed in 1695 during the Nine Years War, it was reconstructed and completed. The Grand Place is comprised of the Town Hall, City Museum, and a set of seven houses called The Dukes of Brabant. Each building is an architectural masterpiece, and the entire square is illuminated at night. 

One side of La Grand-Place

Church of of Our Lady of Victories at the Sablon

This Roman Catholic church was built in the 15th century and has a gothic architectural style on its exterior. Its interior is intricately decorated with ample figures and statues. 

Church of Our Lady of Victories

Manneken Pis

This reminded me of the Hollywood sign. It's nothing like the Hollywood sign; it's actually a fountain statue of a little naked boy peeing. My Belgian friends were shocked that I had never heard of the tourist attraction. It's one of the top results on what to do in Brussels. It reminded me of the Hollywood sign because I was severely underwhelmed when I saw it. We turned the corner to a mass of people and squinted beyond them to see the tiny statue. I shrugged and said, "Hm, well okay." I'm glad I went though because, like the Hollywood sign, you can't go to the city and not see this renowned attraction. It was worth it because there were comedic dessert shops and a car show.

What we saw when we arrived at the Manneken Pis. It's the little fountain on the right.

Here is a better view of him. He was dressed up for the car show.

I Ate...

Waffles

Everybody raves about Belgian waffles, and I've always assumed they were breakfast waffles. No, no, these are dessert waffles. They're topped with chocolate or Nutella and fruit, and they're like something you'd get at the state fair. 

French (Belgian?) Fries

Another thing I've always heard of is Belgian fries because apparently French fries actually originated in Belgium. They're steak-cut fries which is my second-least favorite style of fry behind crinkle-cut fries, so they were a bit disappointing. 

Manhattn's Burgers

However, we did eat at a burger joint, per the local's recommendation, called Manhattn's Burgers. This is an absolute must if you visit Belgium. It was the best burger I've had all semester. Unfortunately I devoured it so fast that I didn't get to take a photo.

More Food

The other two things that everyone says you have to try did not disappoint: Belgian chocolate and Belgian beer. As a chocolate connoisseur I can honestly say this was some of the best chocolate ever. And, again, per the local's recommendations, the beer was excellent. Belgium also has really great sausage and ice cream.

I Experienced...

We took full advantage of being in a more developed country and took the electric scooters everywhere. Definitely worth the money. They are incredibly accessible; you can find them parked on most streets.

I was shocked at the inability to pay separately at meals. Every restaurant had us pay on one bill, even if we asked to be on separate tickets before we ordered. If Bulgaria can manage to let the party pay on separate bills 25% of the time, I think Belgium can step up their game in this department.

We actually got to hang out on the rooftop of a dormitory overlooking the city (thank you, Clément), and it was delightful. Brussels is a beautiful city, and there is so much to do and see as it is the political and financial center for Western Europe. It was a wonderful experience to visit.

Julia Dick

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great trip. Love and miss you always!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 1

My Journey to Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria