My Journey to Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria

Pre-Departure Thoughts

It is 12:30pm CT, January 10th. I'm sitting at my gate as I write this, awaiting my first flight, which has already been delayed over an hour, cutting my layover in half, but there's nothing I can do about that now, so oh well. 

This time last week, I was ten times more anxious than I am now. I was nervous about my flight, getting my residence settled, adjusting to the COVID-19 Bulgarian entry requirements that are changing daily, and packing - in which I think I did a stupendous job, but I'll let you know in a week when I realize what all I've forgotten. But now I'm here, about to embark on this five month journey.

I have literally never been so completely alone in my entire life. The closest feeling I've had to this was when I went away to college, but even then I knew one friend, and I was only 50 miles from home, not 5,800. How enthralling... how daunting. 

I said goodbye to my friends, my roommates, and my family. I'm leaving everyone I have ever shared my life with. I know not a soul at my destination. That is so cool. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am blessed, and I am grateful.

Post-Arrival 

After three planes and a van over 24 hours of traveling, I made it. We landed in the snow in Sofia, then drove a hundred kilometers south through one of the most mountainous regions I've seen. After check-in, I immediately walked to the super market with two van friends to get the essentials: a loaf of bread, a package of what I think is sliced turkey, a pillow, toilet paper and eight liters of water. I sit in this vacant dorm room, jet-lagged and hungry, but too tired to get up and eat, and thinking about how lucky I am.

My plan is to post weekly reflections of my experiences. We'll see if I can stay disciplined on that routine. 

нека поговорим скорo (That's "talk soon" in Bulgarian, I think...)

Julia Dick



Comments

  1. How exciting! Please continue with the posts. Can't wait for the next one. We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3 - Sofia